1. Name of the location of 90% of epistaxis
2. A genetic disorder that forms AV malformations in the skin, lungs, brain etc
3. Name of posterior vascular plexus in the nasal cavity causing posterior epistaxis
4. 1st line treatment for all epistaxis
5. The common brand name for anterior nasal packing
6. Chemical used in cautery sticks
7. Physically scaring complication of posterior nasal packing with foleys catheter
Septoplasty and Submucosal Resection
Septoplasty is a conservative procedure on the septum of the nose that aims to improve airflow. It is done in a different way to a submucous resection. May be combined with rhinoplasty in the procedure called septorhinoplasty.
Submucosal resection of septum (SMR)
SMR removes deviations in the septum and creates a window in the cartilage of septal bone. If too much is taken, the support for the nasal dorsum can be lost and the shape of the nose will change.
Risks of hospital admission, anaesthesia, failure to improve surgery (5-10% request further surgery), worsening of the appearance of the nose, facial swelling and bruising, bleeding, nasal discharge, dryness and crusting.